Oh yeah, workouts! Okay, I will admit that I have really had a hard time the last few weeks getting excited about my workouts. I’m sorry, but I really miss running. A lot. I don’t get the same satisfaction (read: runner’s high) doing other workouts, and it just isn’t as fun. Truth.
I am happy to report that my back is 90% better. For the most part, I have my “regular” old pain. There are still times, especially when I have to stand a long time, that the scary pain returns. But I think I dodged a bullet this time. So, yeah, I might curse other runners occasionally, but I also am trying to remember to be grateful that I’m not all hobbled up like I used to be! Progress, right?
I had a pretty great workout yesterday…
Cardio – 5K cross-train:
- Treadmill – .5 mile at 4.2 pace and 8% incline
- Crossramp – 1 mile at 20 incline (all the way) and 15 resistance
- Bike – 1 mile at 5 minute mile pace (slow, I know!) and 5 resistance
- Elliptical – .7 mile at 12 resistance
- Seated dips – 2 sets of 10 at 40 lbs
- Cable row – 2 sets of 10 at 40 lbs each arm
- Hip abductor – 2 sets of 10 at 100 lbs
- Hip adductor – 2 sets of 10 at 100 lbs
- Chest fly – 2 sets of 10 at 40 lbs
And today – I left work at a decent time(!) and did a quickie session at the gym. felt.so.good. I was still pretty sore from yesterday – at least I realized I was once I got going – so I just did an abbreviated version of a strength session.
- Warm-up: Elliptical – 5 minutes at 10 resistance
- Seated dips – 2 sets of 12 at 40 lbs
- Leg press – 2 sets of 12 at 85 lbs
- Seated row – 2 sets of 12 at 40 lbs
- Chest fly – 2 sets of 12 at 40 lbs
- Side crunches on extension stand – 20 each side (1 set)
- Back extensions on stand – 25 (1 set)
- Hip adductor – 1 set of 12 at 70
- Double ab crunch (machine) – 1 set of 12 each side at 55 lbs
- Bicycle crunches (floor) – 1 set of 20
- Full roll ups (floor) – 1 set of 20
- Side crunches – 1 set of 10 each side
I don’t have that athletic feeling I had before (training versus exercising), but it’s nice to challenge myself and feel sore again!
I started this blog in part to focus on the positive. But I don’t want to give you some fake cheer, either. I’m probably going to grumble about the running thing for a while. And I am probably going to continue toying with the stupid idea that maybe I could do it now?… but I’m also trying to get over it already and get back in the groove.