Tags

, , ,

Drumroll please … bdddddrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr …

I’m finally done with the couch!

Okay, backing up, this used to be our couch:

Mellow Yellow

It was actually pretty cute and vintage-y, but it clashed badly with our stuff and killed my back.  I really wanted a full-sized, gray couch.  In true form, I spent forever (as in, almost a year) looking for one.  It’s a classic problem: bigger Want than Wallet.

What I really (really, really) wanted, was a classy, dark gray, modular or sectional couch.  Something like this:

Ikea Kivik Sofa in Gray-Brown

Or this:

Zoldan Interiors

But not so much that I would (or could) spend the $1500+ most of those couches cost.

Actually, what I want is a house to put that couch in.  Eric and I are both surprised we have been in this apartment for, ahem, three years.  It is tiny, has no washer, dryer, or dishwasher, only one small closet, and zero outdoor space.  But … it’s also cute, in a great neighborhood, and – most importantly – CHEAP.  I swear our landlord hasn’t raised the rates in over a decade.  So, the way I see it, we may be far from where we want to be, but by staying here (and saving money), we are getting closer.

All that to say, I decided about a year ago to try to make this space happier, cozier, and more “home.”  So, I was thrilled to find a brand-new 8 foot gray couch on craigslist for less than some of the stained, grandma-y used couches I’d been seeing online.  The guy we bought it from had just closed down his furniture store, and was sellling off the last remaining pieces.  So, we snagged a brand-new, never used couch for way under cost!  I couldn’t turn it down.

Honestly, it’s not my dream couch.  But, it’s pretty cute and comfy.  One thing, though.  It had the dreaded pillow arms, the kind you would find on 1980s Barcaloungers.  To me, they just looked like giant loaves of bread.

Why?

So, what do you do when you have an awesome new couch with hideaous arms?  You make like Tim Gunn and MAKE IT WORK!

Within five minutes of the guy dropping off the couch, I was trying to figure out how I could fix the arms.  Eric asked if I would please wait at least a couple of weeks before I start cutting into our brand new furniture, and I agreed.  But, after a few weeks …

Snip, snip

I took a leap and cut.

It seemed like it would actually work!  I pinned things into place, and then … got busy.  This project took way too long to finish.  I don’t know how long it took to do the actual work, but it took about two months to complete the project.  Still, I got it done!

I had NO IDEA what I was doing, and didn’t even research it.  I just figured it out along the way.  Maybe not the best way to do things, but I was so anxious to nix the bread loaves.

Basically, I pulled a ton of weird green stuffing out.  At first I thought I’d just pull out some stuffing and sew things back up, but it was so lumpy and odd I couldn’t leave it like that.  Instead, I bought some felt to hold it all together.

Two layers.  The first with an opening to play around with the stuffing, and the second pulled over to smooth everything out.

And then it was time to sew it up.  The first stitch was as scary as the first cut.  I guess I was nervous because once I actually started that process I would know if it would really work.  Or if I’d just ruined our new couch.  Only one way to find out!

Here we go!

It’s far from perfect, but I think it is a huge improvement.  No more weird loaves of bread!  It will buy us some time until we can afford our dream couch.  For now, it will work!

Next up:

  • New throw pillows for the newly improved couch
  • New artwork (helloooo, Pinterest)
  • Stain the coffee table
  • Paint the dressers
  • Recover the cat-tree with new carpet and sherpa
  • And, probably some other stuff, too …
Advertisements